Vocab & Idioms

Become over the post-obit vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will become over annihilation you practise non understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to utilize the word/expression properly.

Vocabulary/ Expressions

Burrow potato (n) a person who spends little or no time exercising and a great deal of time watching tv set.
Genre (northward) a category of artistic limerick, as in music or literature, characterized by similarities in form, style, or field of study matter.
Commercials/Informercials (due north) Radio and Television receiver. a paid advertisement or promotional declaration.
Network (due north) a company or organization that provides programs to exist broadcast over these stations:
Prime time (north) Prime time or peak time is the block of broadcast programming taking place during the center of the evening for television programming.
Dub (v) to add (music, oral communication, etc.) to a film or tape recording (often followed past in).
Subtitle (northward) words that appear on the screen during a moving picture, video, or boob tube show and that are translations of what the actors are saying — normally plural
Feature motion-picture show (north) a film  with a running time long enough to exist considered the master or sole motion-picture show to fill a plan.
To be in the limelight (idiom) to receive attending and interest from the public
To steal the prove (idiom) attract the most attention and praise.

Part one Questions

Here are possible questions that might come up during the test. Become over them with your tutor.

Topic

  • Do you often sentinel TV?
  • What sorts of things exercise you watch on Television set?
  • What is your favourite Television set program?
  • Do you lot always lookout foreign programs or films?
  • What did yous watch on Goggle box when yous were a kid?

Role two&3 Questions

Here are possible questions that might come during the examination. Go over them with your tutor.

Sample A

Part 2 Questions

  • Describe a slice of (electrical or electronic) equipment in your habitation. Yous should say:
    • What it is
    • How frequently you employ it
    • Who you usually utilize it with
    • And explain why this item is important to you

Part iii Questions

  • How pop is watching telly in your country?
  • Tell me about the types of programme that are generally on telly in your country.

Sample B

Part 2 Questions

  • Describe a piece of modern technology you own. Yous should say:
    • What it is
    • What you use it for
    • How long you accept owned it
    • And explain why information technology is of import for you lot

Part 3 Questions

  • Why do people like watching television?
  • Do y'all think land or private television is better?

Sample C

Part 2 Questions

  • Describe the most useful household appliance that yous take. You should say:
    • What information technology is
    • How it works
    • How life would be without information technology
    • and explain why it is then important to you to you.

Part 3 Questions

  • What effects can watching television have on children?
  • Do you think children should watch TV?

Sample Answers

Here are some sample answers. Go over them with your tutor.

Office one Questions

  • Do y'all like watching Television set?
    • I don't get time actually to watch Television receiver and I don't like the fact that you have no choice well-nigh what to watch, so no I would say I don't actually like watching normal Boob tube, I much prefer streaming something on my iPad and watching it when I similar.
  • How often do you watch TV?
    • I'd say perchance merely a few times a month when in that location is a practiced football game match on. I prefer watching football on Tv with other people around because information technology's a great atmosphere, but if it's a normal TV show I will just watch it lone at home on my tablet.
  • What kind of Telly programs do you like to lookout?
    • I like dramas and thrillers. I don't really like anything that is non set in the real world, and so I'm not a big fan of sci-fi or fantasy, although I have been getting in to the latest season of Game of Thrones. I also really like to watch documentaries about military machine history, especially anything to practice with the Second Earth State of war.

Part two&3 Answers

Here are some sample answers. Go over them with your tutor.

Sample A

Part two Questions

  • Describe a piece of electronic equipment that yous find useful. You should say:
    • what it is
    • how yous learned to employ information technology
    • how long you take had it
    • and explain why yous find this piece of electronic equipment useful.

Science has fabricated human life comfortable. With the advancement of age, we have started reaping the benefits of the past inventions and discovered technology, and marching towards an advanced and digitized world. Thereby, we are surrounded by electronic equipment nigh everywhere regardless of home or working stations.

I have a desktop computer at my dwelling house with the latest configuration. It is the well-nigh of import and valuable thing for me when I am at home. Information technology helps me in unlike means. When I get back home from work, I play songs on the computer. Sometimes I and my wife watch thrilling movies too on the figurer. Information technology has become an essential part of my life. I also use the electronic equipment for many other purposes and use the sophisticated applications made for various purposes. Mostly I play dissimilar video games on the computer during my holidays and y wife uses it for editing photographs. It is truly useful equipment for me and my family.

But learning to run the applications were not so piece of cake for me as it is today. Now I tin can perform some boggling tasks with the reckoner. I tin edit photos using photo editing software, write anything on the word writing applications like Ms Word, make presentations for my function using PowerPoint, analyze numerous data using data analysis software and more others tasks. I took admission at a training school where I mastered the skills. Now I am also able to edit photos or create images and give them shapes after needs with the editing applications. All I learnt from the preparation school and took a 6-calendar month training there. In the beginning, I made silly mistakes to run the applications simply now I am highly skilled in running those and even I exercise not demand to check the keyboard if I am pressing the right key.

I had to purchase the computer for my married woman in 2014 equally she is a wildlife photographer, captures still picture of the animals and needs to edit those before submitting to different agencies. Although she has a pocket-size laptop, she is uncomfortable to piece of work with the equipment and thus I had to buy the calculator. The computer owns a college configuration and allows running almost all the heavy, available and complicated applications. It works at an unimaginable speed. Moreover, later having the computer, I take learnt its use which I was ignorant before. By the span of a yr, I have turned into an expert.

The calculator is greatly helpful for me and my wife likewise. Both of u.s. utilise the electronic equipment to meet our daily needs. Most of the time of the mean solar day, my wife uses the motorcar to edit her captured wild animals images from dissimilar parts of the earth. Besides, I make logical and cute presentations to exist presented before my office while taking any important decisions. Thereby, I am highly beneficial by the applications. Sometimes I am assigned from the part to design some logos or banners over specific events to exist printed, I make them at home which has a great role in my career development. Moreover, this is the historic period of advice and I browse social networking websites using the figurer to reach my other family members or friends. I adopt reckoner rather than cellular phones to browse the internet. The large screen is actually enjoying.


Part 3 Questions

  • How pop is watching television receiver in your country?
    • That's an interesting question. I would say in that location are many popular telly programs, simply people merely don't watch it on television receiver. At least the young generation either watch the TV shows on their mobile phones or they use streaming services like Netflix. And then I call back Tv programs are still high in need, merely people are watching them on different devices other than television.
  • Tell me virtually the types of program that are more often than not on television in your country.
    • In my stance, in that location are three types of programmes on television. The kickoff 1 is drama. There are many popular shows that became so famous that we began to export the contents to other countries. The 2d 1 is funny shows. They may include the typical talk show or one-act skits, similar SNL, just I think there are a lot more unlike types of comedy shows in my country. Sometime people on the show play games, or sometimes they compete in a music competition. The concluding but not least would the serious kind, like news or documentaries.

Sample B

Part 2 Questions

  • Draw a piece of modern technology you own. Yous should say:
    • What information technology is
    • What you employ it for
    • How long you lot have owned information technology
    • And explain why it is important for you.

I have several pieces of modern technology and electronic gadgets that I often employ and among them I would like to talk virtually the laptop I have. This is a laptop reckoner which is manufactured by HP. This laptop has a good configuration and it supports almost of the latest software. It came with the Windows 8 operating system and it was fleck expensive for me to purchase. I bought information technology a few months ago when I replaced my former Dell laptop with this new one.

I employ it for my official purposes equally well equally personal purposes. I use the internet, communicate with my friends using this laptop. I sometimes set some documents, surf internet and play games in it equally well. This laptop serves my entertainment besides. I watch movies, listen to music and play games in it. In fact, I use this laptop more frequently than any other electronic device I have except the jail cell phone.

I own laptop for more than ten years but I bought this electric current one 3-iv months agone. Since the engineering changes and to use the latest software and to get faster functioning, nosotros need to upgrade our computers and laptops, I replaced my erstwhile laptop with this new ane.

Equally I accept already mentioned, I use this laptop to use the internet, play games, create documents, contact my friends, maintain my blogs, watch movies, heed to music and for many other important purposes. This laptop has become an unavoidable technology for me that I utilize almost every day.


Part iii Questions

  • Why do people like watching television?
    • That's a tough question to inquire. I think people watch Idiot box to decompress and unwind from the stressful day. Also information technology is a way to accept different kinds of experience through screen– like traveling to Italy or be friends with Joey and Chandler– that people cannot take in their daily lives. I personally lookout man TV to learn about American cultures by watching American Boob tube shows or drama, in hopes that I tin can make many international friends in the future.
  • Do you think country or private television is better?
    • Well… When information technology comes to the quality of the shows, I don't retrieve there is a large difference in quality– at to the lowest degree in my country. However, when information technology comes to news I think information technology is better that the media company stays neutral to political issues. For example, a private broadcasting companies was able to comprehend a huge political scandal when regime-owned broadcasting companies were non willing to investigate. I think it is very of import for dissemination companies to stay objective.

Sample C

Part 2 Questions

  • Describe the most useful household appliance that y'all accept. You should say:
    • What information technology is
    • How it works
    • How life would be without it
    • and explain why it is so important to you to you.

Lots of household appliances are actually useful to have, merely today I'one thousand going to tell you lot near the most useful appliance I accept in my home. I'll tell yous what it is, how it works, and how life would exist without it, and why it is so important to me.

I didn't have to think very long near which appliance to cull to talk about for this topic, for me information technology is easy. I picked the detail I just could not live without.  What is it? It'due south a kettle. How information technology works? Well, I fill it with h2o from my tap – and I'one thousand lucky, where I alive in Yorkshire nosotros have lovely soft water that boils quickly and tastes neat – then I simply supervene upon the kettle on its base, moving-picture show a switch and expect for the kettle to boil. At that place is an chemical element within the kettle that gets hot from the electricity, and that'south what heats the water, I don't really know how to explain it any more fully… We have a saying in our country 'a watched kettle never boils' I call back that'due south true! The more than you impatiently watch a kettle waiting for information technology to come up to the eddy the longer information technology seems to take.

The principle of a kettle is very simple, and information technology's something that is easy to take for granted, only life without a kettle for me is unthinkable. I can call back of three main reasons and all are important to me!

Firstly, I take to offset my twenty-four hours with a cup of strong tea, I can't do annihilation or speak to anyone until I've had that first cuppa of the day. I similar Yorkshire tea, fabricated in a pot and served with unsweetened soya milk which I always put in commencement. I like the pot to stand for a bit before I pour, and the tea has to exist made with water that has literally just boiled or it actually doesn't taste the same. I also ideally similar to have my tea in my favourite mug – never a cup.  And then without a kettle, I just couldn't face up my twenty-four hour period!

The 2d reason is considering in my country, if anyone e'er visits your business firm, whether that is a friend or a tradesperson come to exercise a job for y'all, the first thing you do to be polite and welcoming is offering a potable of either tea or java.  Without a kettle to manus that fiddling ritual would be incommunicable, it would experience so wrong.

Thirdly, and peradventure most importantly of all, in that location is nil every bit bonding as sitting down with a hot cup of tea with a friend and talking to put the world to rights. Biscuits welcome too, but tea will suffice. It is my house belief that no trouble is so great information technology cannot be resolved with – or at least macerated by — a shared pot of tea. If y'all recollect I am placing too much importance on a kettle you are incorrect! I don't have to imagine life without a kettle, as unfortunately, I take experienced it. I day I went to put my kettle on and it immediately fused, it wouldn't work!  Even though it was early on in the morning it was unthinkable to go to my chore without having had my loving cup of tea first. Before I did anything else, I hauled some trousers and a top on over my pyjamas and headed to a 24 60 minutes supermarket so I could purchase a inexpensive kettle, render home and have my cup of tea as usual before my shower and dressing for work. That might sound extreme, but for me, it was the only sensible applied option. When we accept an occasional ability cut in the UK, it's horrendous. I tin can manage without electric light or hot water, but no kettle? That'southward really challenging!

A kettle is a much disregarded household appliance, but in my experience, it is the nearly important one. Tea starts the day, shows hospitality, and I my culture is the ane sure fire style to brand everything better. A sit-downwardly and a cup of tea (or coffee) with a close friend is one of the best stress busters in the world, and without a kettle, it would be much much harder to deliver on demand!


Role 3 Questions

  • What furnishings can watching television accept on children?
    • To begin with, if a kid watches television set from very young age, they will end up with a bad middle sight. I used to watch television all solar day when I was a child, and that'southward why I accept to wear glasses. On the other mitt, children who watches likewise much TV ways they are not playing with friends, which ways they volition not learn how to brand friends until they go to school.
  • Practice you lot retrieve children should watch Goggle box?
    • I recollect TV for children is like candies. Children love watching children's Boob tube programme every bit much every bit they like candies. I think it is important for them to know that they can watch Television set for an hr or so, but they can't binge watch TV because information technology is fun. I retrieve it is very important to teach them how to control oneself.

Wrap-up

Become over whatsoever new expressions or vocabulary that you learned today.

cambly-practice-button2